You need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits, and receive some other government services. You rarely need to show your Social Security card.
Where to get one?
2 Court Street
Binghamton, NY 13901
Local Number :1-866-964-3971
National Toll-free: 1-800-772-1213
Types Of Social Security Cards
There’s usually three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your name and Social Security number.
- Shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction.
We issue it to:
- U.S. citizens; and
- People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.
- Shows your name and number and notes, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” We issue this type of card to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.
- Shows your name and number and notes, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT.”
We issue it to people from other countries:
- Who are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but with a valid nonwork reason for needing a Social Security number; or
- Who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.
The United States Government has an actually tool that you may use to find out whether you are eligible to get a social security card or what kind of card you need. You can find all the necessary information about getting a social security card here.